In order to provide opportunities for children to reach their full potential, the Wright Family Foundation will focus on several goals and strategies to support at-risk youth in Baltimore, Maryland and Austin, Texas.
Early Childhood Education
Goal: Children will have access to programs to prepare them for kindergarten.
- Expand children’s access to quality instruction in early childhood education programs and initiatives.
- Support pre-school reading readiness programs.
- Fund programs that support parents as first teachers and parenting skills.
Goal: Improve educational opportunities for underserved children to achieve academic success in elementary grades.
- Support public, private and charter schools to enhance school choice opportunities.
- Support programs focused on literacy and reading at grade level.
- Support educational field trips to enhance curriculum.
- Support alternative education programs particularly in the arts.
Out of School Time
Goal: At-risk youth will have consistent support from caring adults who will provide motivation, direction and guidance.
- Support initiatives that provide a safe haven for children after-school during the “danger hours” that promote academic achievement and personal growth and development.
- Support community and school-based summer programs to prevent summer learning loss.